A new four-door coupe is on the way for Australia, in the form of the first-ever BMW 8 Series Gran Coupe. The local arm has just confirmed initial specs and prices ahead of its launch later this year.
The 8 Series Gran Coupe was only just revealed in June. It comes in as something of a replacement for the 6 Series Gran Coupe, only it’s slightly larger and more high end. Specifically, it’s 75mm longer, 38mm wider, and 15mm taller.
Two variants are confirmed for Australia. The range kicks off with the 840i (RWD) and then topping with the M850i xDrive (AWD). For the 840i there’s a 3.0-litre turbo inline six that develops 250kW and 500Nm, sent through an eight-speed auto. Acceleration from 0-100km/h is taken care of in a claimed 5.2 seconds.
If it’s performance you want, you need the M850i monster. It packs a 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 that belts out 390kW and 750Nm. Accelerating from 0-100km/h is over in a claimed 3.9 seconds. It, too, comes with an eight-speed auto but uses all-wheel drive. Fuel economy figures are yet to be confirmed for either variant in Australia.
Even though the 840i is the ‘entry’ model, it comes impressively equipped. Buyers are treated to the full M Sport pack, which includes adaptive M suspension, an M Sport differential, and 20-inch M light alloy wheels. There’s also M Sport brakes with 374mm front discs. Integral Active Steering (rear-wheel steering) is also standard.
Moving up to the M850i adds adaptive M suspension ‘Professional’, with active anti-roll stabilisation, as well as unique 20-inch alloy wheels, BMW’s CraftedClarity class gear selector and iDrive controller, along with Cerium Grey highlights for the exterior. There’s also a range of M Sport logos throughout. Speaking about the new model, Vikram Pawah, CEO of BMW Group Australia, said:
“We are excited to expand the range with the first-ever BMW 8 Series Gran Coupé, which combines engaging dynamic qualities and innovative driver assistance while also delivering enhanced practicality for everyday use. It is the only model in its segment to be derived directly from a two-door sports car, making the 8 Series Gran Coupé the perfect blend of luxury and performance.”
The BMW 8 Series Gran Coupe will go on sale in Australia during the fourth quarter of this year. See below for the starting prices (excludes on-road costs), and further below for the highlight standard features.
2020 BMW 840i Gran Coupe: $199,900
2020 BMW M850i xDrive Gran Coupe: $272,900
840i Gran Coupe highlights:
- M Sport package
- 20-inch M light alloy wheels Y-spoke style 728 M Bicolour with runflat tyres
- Eight-speed Steptronic sport automatic transmission
- Adaptive M suspension
- 374mm M Sport brakes
- M Sport differential
- Integral Active Steering
- BMW Carbon Core transmission tunnel
- Soft close doors
- BMW display key
- Driving Assistant Professional
- Parking Assistant Plus
- BMW Laserlight
- Panorama glass sunroof
- Comfort Access system, including automatic tailgate and digital key
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional with 12.3-inch digital instrument display
- 10.25-inch control display with BMW Operating System 7.0
- Active seat ventilation, front seats
- Wireless smartphone charging
- M leather steering wheel
- BMW gesture control
- BMW Individual Metallic Paintwork
- harman/kardon surround sound system, 16 speakers
- BMW rxtended Leather ‘Merino’ upholstery
- Roller Sunblinds, electric
- Multifunctional seats for driver and front passenger, including lumbar support
M850i xDrive adds:
- xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system
- M tuning on selected elements
- Adaptive M suspension Professional, including active roll stabilisation
- 20-inch M light alloy wheels Y-spoke style 728 M Cerium grey with performance tyres
- BMW ‘CraftedClarity’ glass application
- BMW night vision with pedestrian recognition
- 395mm M Sport brakes
- Tyre pressure indicator