BMW Australia is expanding the 8 Series range with the introduction of the new 840i, available in coupe and convertible form. It joins the existing M850i.
The new 8 Series has been on sale in Australia for a few months now, and it’s making decent ground in its segment in terms of sales. So far this year (through July), it has racked up 53 sales, giving 5.2 per cent market share. BMW says it has exceeded its initial expectations. Vikram Pawah, CEO of BMW Group Australia, said:
“Since its official release, the BMW 8 Series has surpassed sales expectations and received positive media attention. Now is the perfect opportunity to introduce the 840i variant as a new entry point into the 8 Series range. With a sleek modern design, sports performance attributes and expansive equipment list, it presents a compelling offer for those seeking a luxurious grand touring experience.”
Helping to broaden the nameplate’s appeal, the 840i presents the market with a svelte inline six engine for the grand tourer. It’s a 3.0-litre turbo-petrol that produces 250kW and 500Nm. Unlike the flagship M850i which is all-wheel drive, the 840i is rear-wheel. Even so, it offers a swift sprint from 0-100km/h in a claimed 5.0 seconds, or 5.3 for the convertible.
BMW has packaged the 840i with loads of standard equipment and sporty features. For starters, the M Sport pack is standard. It includes 20-inch M light alloy wheels, M Sport brakes, and an M Sport differential. There’s also Integral Active Steering (rear-wheel steering), soft-close doors, BMW Laserlight headlights, and BMW’s Carbon Core transmission tunnel.
For the interior, passengers are treated to ventilated sports seats in the front, a 10.25-inch multimedia screen, and a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. At the back there is 420L of boot space in the coupe, and 350L in the convertible (280L with the roof down).
The BMW 840i is on sale now and is set to arrive in September. Prices start fro the following (excluding on-roads). See further below for the highlight features.
2019 BMW 840i coupe: $202,900
2019 BMW 840i convertible: $217,900
Key specification highlights:
- Eight-speed steptronic Sport transmission
- 20-inch M light alloy wheels Y-spoke style 728 M Bicolour with runflat tyres – M Sport Differential
- Integral Active Steering
- Comfort Access, including Automatic Operation of Tailgate and Digital Key
- M Sport Brakes, 374 mm
- Soft Close Doors
- Heat comfort package, front
- Wireless Phone Charging
- BMW Display Key
- Driving Assistant Professional
- Parking Assistant Plus, including Reversing Assistant
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional with 12.3-inch digital instrument display
- 10.25-inch Control Display with BMW Operating System 7.0
- BMW Laserlight
- M Leather Steering Wheel
- Metallic Paintwork
- Multifunctional seats for driver and front passenger
- Active seat ventilation for front seats
- BMW Carbon Core transmission tunnel
- BMW Individual extended leather trim ‘Merino’ upholstery
Specific to BMW 840i Coupe
- BMW Gesture Control
- BMW Individual headliner Anthracite
- harman/kardon Surround Sound System, 16 speakers
Specific to BMW 840i Convertible
- Soft top in Black or Silver with Anthracite Silver Effect
- BMW Air Collar neck warmer
- harman/kardon Surround Sound System, 12 speakers