The mightiest BMW M car to ever be conceived will land in Australia next year. Yes, the first-ever BMW M8 Competition. Local prices and specs have just been announced.
Sitting at the top of the BMW food chain, above the recent M850i, the M8 Competition is the fastest and equal most powerful production vehicle BMW M has ever made. It features the 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 that we first saw in the M5 Competition, developing 460kW and 750Nm. This is sent through an eight-speed automatic and into a switchable all- and rear-wheel drive drivetrain.
Across the tarmac, BMW says 0-100km/h is taken care of in just 3.2 seconds. If you keep it pinned, it’ll offer a top speed of 305km/h. This is the highest top speed of any factory BMW. It’s able to offer such performance thanks to launch control, as well as a set of 20-inch alloy wheels measuring 9.5 inches wide on the front and 10.5 inches on the back. They are wrapped in 275/35 and 285/35 tyres, respectively.
Although there is a non-Competition version of the M8 overseas, BMW Australia is only introducing the top version. This means it comes with a range of unique highlights, such as black trimmings for the exterior, an M Sport exhaust system, special stiffened engine mounts, an active differential for the rear axle, and bespoke suspension with -1.2 degrees camber on the front.
Braking performance comes thanks to M compound brakes with blue multi-piston calipers, or buyers can option for M Carbon Ceramic items to really torture the internal organs. Either way, they come with a brand new integrated adjustment system, offering the driver Comfort and Sport modes for different brake feels.
As you would expect, there are plenty of luxuries and upper-end features included with the M8. Things like soft-close doors, active seat ventilation, BMW Laserlight headlights, BMW Night Vision with pedestrian recognition, and of course BMW’s latest twin-screen multimedia and instrument cluster setup come as standard. There’s also a Bowers & Wilkins Diamond surround sound system.
BMW Australia will launch the M8 Competition during the first quarter of 2020. Prices start from $352,900 (excluding on-road costs). See below for some of the highlight standard features.
- M xDrive
- M Sport exhaust system
- M Carbon engine cover
- 20″ M light alloy wheels Star-spoke style 813 M Bicolour with performance tyres
- M Sport differential
- M Steptronic sport transmission
- Tyre pressure indicator
- Tyre repair kit
- Alarm system
- Automatic operation of tailgate
- Comfort Access
- Soft-close doors
- BMW display key
- M carbon roof
- Floor mats in velour
- Warning triangle & first aid kit
- Active seat ventilation in the front seats
- Lumbar support
- Interior trim carbon fibre
- M seat belts
- Heat Comfort package, front, including seat heating, steering wheel heating and heated armrests
- High-beam assist
- Driving Assistant Professional
- BMW Laserlight
- Parking assistant plus
- Intelligent emergency call
- ConnectedDrive Services
- Connected Package Professional
- Drive recorder
- Wireless charging
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional
- BMW Night Vision with person recognition
- DAB tuner
- Bowers & Wilkins Diamond surround sound system
- M Sport seats
- M Rear spoiler
- BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line
- BMW Individual headliner Alcantara Anthracite
- M Competition package
- M Driver’s package
- BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line with extended contents
- Chinese language display (NCO)
- BMW Individual full leather ‘Merino’ upholstery
- BMW Individual metallic paintwork