Just like the M4 CS, the M3 version comes with an uprated 3.0-litre twin-turbo inline six engine producing 338kW and 600Nm. This is a healthy boost up from the regular 317kW output, or 331kW in the Competition specification. Power is sent through a seven-speed dual-clutch auto transmission as standard.
Across the 0-100km/h sprint, the clock stops in a claimed 3.9 seconds, while the top speed is electronically limited to 280kW. And as we found out, the M3 CS has posted a cracking Nurburgring lap time of just 7:38. Despite the impressive performance, the M3 CS offers an official average fuel consumption rating of just 8.4L/100km.
It’s easy to spot the CS from the outside compared with the regular M3. There’s a more aggressive aero kit including a carbon fibre front lip spoiler, black kidney grilles, a carbon fibre bonnet complete with the ‘power dome’ bulge, while the rear gets a big lip spoiler made from carbon, and a chunky diffuser underneath, also made from carbon. A carbon fibre roof is standard, cutting 6kg from the regular steel roof’s weight.
To complete the look a set of 19- and 20-inch light-alloy wheels in Orbit grey are fitted, inspired by the wheels on the 2016 DTM championship-winning M4 racing car. These are 9kg lighter per corner compared with the regular wheels, measuring 9 inches wide on the front and 10 inches on the back. Helping with grip are a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres, measuring 265/35 at the front and 285/30 on the rear.
The interior features the Competition sports seats covered in two-tone Silverstone/black Merino leather, with Alcantara trimming used for the door panels and dash, and for the steering wheel. Despite being a track-ready vehicle the M3 CS still comes with a comprehensive 8.8-inch media interface with iDrive 6 software, as well as a 12-speaker sound system.
Just 1200 examples are destined for Australia. Prices start at $179,900 (excluding on-roads), with deliveries set to commence in June. See below for the highlight features:
- Mixed, forged light-alloy wheels, featuring 19-inch front and 20-inch rear diameters
- Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres as standard; Super Sport tyres are a no-cost option
- CFRP roof, bonnet, front splitter, rear diffuser and rear gurney flap
- Adaptive LED headlights with BMW Black Line LED tail lights
- Quad 80mm stainless steel tailpipes, engraved with M emblems
- Seven-speed M DCT transmission
- CFRP prop shaft
- Specifically tuned Adaptive M suspension
- M Drive Modes with specific calibrations
- Active M differential
- M Driver’s Package, with top speed increased to 280km/h
- Full leather Merino upholstery in bicolour Black/Silverstone
- BMW Individual Full leather interior trim, in bicolour Black/Silverstone
- Head-Up Display with specific M contents
- Front and rear Park Distance Control
- 12-speaker HiFi system, specially adapted for the M3 CS
- Navigation system Professional with 8.8-inch touch screen display
- Cruise control with braking function
- Speed Limit Info
- BMW Connected+
- BMW ConnectedDrive Services including real-time traffic information, Intelligent Emergency Call, TeleServices, Remote Services and ConnectedDrive Freedom including Concierge Services