After an exhausting teaser campaign Dodge is finally unveiling the new Challenger SRT Demon. And it should be everything you’d thought it would be.
Most of the details and features have already been confirmed, including the 315 Nitto tyres specially developed for the drag strip, the TransBrake launch mechanism as standard, and the line-locker and anti-hop launch control.
What has been officially confirmed is the 6.2-litre supercharged V8 engine. It produces up to 840hp (627kW) and is able to run the quarter mile in as little as 9.65 seconds, and 0-60mph (97km/h) in just 2.3 seconds.
UPDATE: Dodge has revealed some of the highlights of the Demon, as below:
- 840 horsepower and 770 pounds-feet of torque from supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI Demon V-8 engine makes Dodge Challenger SRT Demon the most-powerful muscle car ever
- Highest horsepower V-8 production car engine ever produced
- First-ever front-wheel lift in production car (2.92 feet) as certified by Guinness World Records
- World’s fastest quarter-mile production car with an elapsed time (ET) of 9.65 seconds and 140 miles per hour (mph) as certified by National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)
- Challenger SRT Demon is too fast for the drag strip – officially banned by NHRA
- World’s fastest 0-60 production car: 2.3 seconds
- 0-30 miles per hour: 1.0 second
- Highest g-force acceleration of any production car: 1.8 g
- Air-Grabber induction system includes the largest functional hood scoop (45.2 square inches) of any production car
- Significant upgrades to create the Demon engine include:
- Larger 2.7-liter per rev supercharger; increased boost pressure to 14.5 psi
- Higher rpm limit of 6,500
- First-ever factory-production car with innovative SRT Power Chiller™ liquid-to-air intercooler chiller system
- First factory-production car with After-Run Chiller that keeps cooling the supercharger/charge air cooler after the engine is shut off
- First-ever, factory-production car designed to run on 100+ high-octane unleaded fuel or 91 octane on demand
- First-ever, factory-production car with TransBrake for more powerful and quicker launches
- First-ever, factory-production drag car with Torque Reserve, to deliver increased levels of power and torque at launch
- First-ever, factory-production car with front passenger seat delete
- Exclusive, serialized Demon Crate offers components that fully unleash the car’s potential at the drag strip
- Challenger SRT Demon is covered by FCA US LLC factory warranty, including three-year/36,000-mile limited vehicle warranty and five-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain coverage
- Production of limited-edition single model year (3,000 United States/300 Canada) Challenger SRT Demon begins later this summer; deliveries to Dodge//SRT dealers to begin this fall
- All customers who buy the new 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon receive one full-day session at Bob Bondurant School of High-performance Driving
- Dodge has named Hagerty as its official insurance provider of the Dodge Challenger SRT Demo
You can watch the live reveal in the video below, and a showcase video of the car further below.