The new 2014 Toyota Kluger has landed in Australia. It’s more practical, better value, and packed with more features compared with the outgoing version. It’s also available in three trim levels and all feature 2WD (four-wheel drive is optional).
As you can probably notice, the new model is larger than the outgoing version. It’s based on a heavily revised version of the existing platform, resulting in 80mm in added length and 15mm in width. This brings more interior space, including a larger cargo area which is rated at 195 litres (with third-row seating).
It’s exterior design is not simply an update of the outgoing model either. Instead, this is an all-new design developed from scratch. The front end is now more in line with Toyota’s styling language, with sharper contours and sportier tones, a more aggressive front grille, with a stronger rear end.
It’s a similar story inside the cabin. Toyota has applied a fresh theme with a more modern dashboard which adopts a clean yet well-equipped layout. All models get a Toyota Link multimedia display with a reversing camera, while the top level gets an eight-inch display with sat-nav.
Under the bonnet all variants come with Toyota’s 3.5-litre naturally aspirated V6 producing 201kW of power and 337Nm of torque. All models also come with a six-speed automatic transmission, with the setup offering an average fuel consumption rate of 10.2L/100km (down from the current 11L/100km).
On top of the extensive list of standard features for the base model GX, the GXL and Grande add the following:
Kluger GXL grade adds:
- Three-zone climate-control air conditioning
- Smart entry and smart start
- 10-way power-adjustable driver’s seat including lumbar support
- Leather-accented seats
- Driver and front-passenger seat heaters
- Premium steering wheel and shift knob
- Roof rails.
Kluger Grande adds:
- Active cruise control with steering-wheel switch
- Pre-crash system
- Lane departure alert
- Blind-spot monitor
- 19-inch alloy wheels in lieu of 18-inch
- Projector LED headlamps with Auto High Beam
- Power-operated rear door with glass hatch
- Tilt and slide moonroof
- All automatic up/down windows
- Heated exterior mirrors with memory function and puddle lamps
- Two-position memory for driver’s seat
- Driver and front-passenger ventilated seats
- Eight-inch display audio with navigation and DAB+ digital radio
- Colour 4.2-inch TFT multi-information display
- Nine-inch rear-seat entertainment system with Blu-ray player
- Second-row seat retractable sunshades
- Ambient lighting on door trim and instrument panel
- Woodgrain look on instrument panel
- Electro-chromatic interior mirror
- Back guide monitor for the reversing camera
The SUV is now available with prices starting at the following (excluding on-road costs):
2014 Toyota Kluger GX (2WD) – $40,990 (down from $43,190)
2014 Toyota Kluger GXL (2WD) – $49,990 (down from $51,490)
2014 Toyota Kluger Grande (2WD) – $63,990 (up from $60,635)