The 2015 Audi RS 3 Sportback super hatch will go on sale in Australia next month, becoming one of the most powerful and quickest hatchbacks on the market.
Based on the already-swift Audi S3 hatch, the RS 3 gets a meatier 2.5-litre turbocharged five-cylinder engine producing 270kW of power and 465Nm of torque. This is an upsize on the S3’s 2.0-litre four-cylinder. It offers an official average fuel consumption of 8.1L/100km over the S3’s 6.9L/100km rating.
Audi promises an “exhilarating” experience behind the wheel, with acceleration from 0-100km/h taken care of in just 4.3 seconds. This is an astonishing time for a five-door hatch. Part of the performance is thanks to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission hooked up to an all-wheel drive system.
Aside from the ballsier engine over the S3, the RS 3 gets the full ‘RS’ treatment including a bespoke bodykit and aero trimmings, a chunkier rear diffuser, special sports suspension, big brakes, and a set of 19-inch five-arm rotor-style alloy wheels.
Inside, it’s all about the drive. For the front passengers there’s a set of huge bucket seats with unique RS trim, a multi-tone decor with lots of racy RS highlights, and the usual luxuries and conveniences you’d expect with a top-line A3. Andrew Doyle, managing director of Audi Australia, said,
“With its imposing stance on the road, astonishingly good dynamics and distinctively ‘Audi Sport’ five-cylinder engine, the new RS 3 will undoubtedly make a strong mark on the local hot hatch scene. The sharp pricing and specification we’ve negotiated will ensure that this long-awaited performance model will find the success it deserves in this competitive market.”
The crazy little hatch will land in Australia in October. Prices start from $78,900 for the single variant. See below for the list of standard features as pointed out in Audi’s statement:
- LED headlights with LED daytime running lights and LED tail lights
- MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch
- Audi parking system plus: parking assist with rear view camera
- 19-inch alloy wheels in five-arm rotor design
- ‘RS’ specific front and rear bumpers, side sill trims and diffuser insert
- ‘RS’ tuned sports suspension
- ‘RS’ sports exhaust system with dual oval tailpipes
- ‘RS’ sport front seats with electric lumbar support
- Digital Radio reception (DAB+)
- Audi Music Interface, Bluetooth interface with music streaming
- Dual-zone climate control with digital display and rear air vents
- Leather/Alcantara wrapped multi-function three-spoke flat-bottom steering wheel with aluminium shift paddles
- Audi Side Assist
- Anti-theft alarm
- Convenience key