Subaru has decided to pull the wraps off the new 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI S206 special JDM-only model ahead of its official 2011 Tokyo Motor Show unveiling.
It’s such a shame Australia misses out on rip-snorting special editions like this. In the Japanese Domestic Market, there are various editions of both the Subaru Impreza WRX STI and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, from stripped out ready to race models to higher powered versions with more features.
The new 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI S206 comes with a vast array of performance revisions over the already-anabolic WRX STI. There’s more power under the bonnet, more aero on the outside, a performance-oriented interior, and some component changes underneath to ensure optimum traction and handling.
Under the bonnet, there’s an STI-tuned 2.0-litre turbocharged flat-four engine producing 236kW (officially 320PS) of power and 431Nm of torque. Subaru says the engine’s ECU has been re-calibrated to offer improved response, while a twin-scoll turbocharger is also revised as is the exhaust system, all providing the extra oomph.
The special edition gets new Bilstein suspension underneath, as well as new 19-inch BBS lightweight alloy wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport tyres. Adding further rigidity is a flexible strut tower brace and draw stiffener at the front that Subaru says helps with handling precision.
Inside, the 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI S206 gets Recaro bucket seats covered in soft Alcantara, numerous ‘S206’ logos and badges, a leather steering wheel and unique red seat belts to really set it apart from the normal WRX STI.
From the outside it’s easy to spot that this is a unique model. There’s a new bodykit, including revised front and rear bumper bars, and a more aggressive front spoiler. When optioned with the ‘NBR Challenge’ pack, the S206 gets a carbon fibre roof and a big carbon fibre rear wing commemorating Subaru’s class win at the Nurburgring 24 Hours race.
Just 300 will be made, 100 of which in ‘NBR’ form – which are said to be sold out already.
Unfortunately, there are no plans for Subaru Australia to bring in the new version. What do you think? Would you like it if Australia imported hard-edged editions like this?
Check below for the full upgrade details.
- STI tuned Bilstein upside down strut and STI coil springs for front suspension
- STI tuned Bilstein damper and STI coil springs for rear suspension
- S206 BBS designed 19-inch x 8 1/2J forged aluminum wheels (silver)
- Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/35ZR19 (93Y) tires
- Brembo six-pot silver colored brake caliper with STI logo and 18-inch 2piece type drilled disk rotors for front brake
- Brembo four-pot silver colored brake caliper with STI logo and 18-inch drilled disk rotors for rear brake
- STI designed flexible front strut tower brace
- STI designed flexible draw stiffener, front
- STI designed flexible support, rear
- STI designed support, front kit
- STI designed lateral rink with pillow ball bush (front inside, rear inside)
- S206 engine balanced with STI
- STI designed S206 ECU (Engine Control Unit)
- S206 twin scroll ball bearing turbocharger
- STI designed S206 sport muffler with lowered back pressure exhaust
- Large intercooler with S206 logo
- STI designed strengthened silicon intake duct
- STI designed air cleaner element
- S206 multi mode VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control)
- S206 RECARO designed front bucket seat
- S206 seat fabric, Alcantara with black punching/red base, leather seat support (dark gray) with silver stitch
- S206 door trim and centered arm rest (black Alcantara with silver stitch)
- S206 dark red colored seat belt
- S206 silver side sill plate with S206 logo (front)
- S206 leather lapped steering wheel with STI logo and silver stitch
- STI designed leather shift knob with STI logo and leather shift boot
- S206 leather side brake boot
- STI designed push engine start switch (red with STI logo)
- S206 serial number plate (console, engine compartment)
- S206 large front under spoiler
- S206 front fender outlet grille
- Aluminum front hood
- STI designed trunk lip spoiler
- S206 badges on front grille and rear gate
- STI designed side garnish with STI logo (black metallic)
NBR Challenge pack
- Carbon roof
- S206 dry carbon rear spoiler (2 angle adjustable with S206 logo)
- BBS designed 19-inch x 8 1/2J cast aluminum wheels (black)
- S206 Nurburgring Challenge sticker (rear)
- S206 red side sill plate with S206 logo (front)