Renowned Mazda MX-5 tuner BBR in the UK has developed a new turbo package for the entry 1.5-litre engine, giving it a breath of extra oomph.
BBR says the kit was developed following the popular demand of the turbo package for the 2.0-litre version. The BBR stage 1 turbo upgrade is applied with a similar philosophy, without needing any major mechanical alterations.
The kit consists of a twin-scroll TSX28-67R turbocharger, which has been specifically selected to help match the 1.5L’s characteristics. BBR says there is now an “immerse spread of performance” for the unit.
Specifically, outputs are lifted from the standard 96kW and 150Nm, to an impressive 157kW and 267Nm. This is a lot more grunt than the 2.0-litre unit and its 118kW output. It is still quite a peaky engine too, with max torque achieved at 4150rpm.
The turbo features a bespoke billet compressor wheel and lightweight, low-inertia turbine, with an internal wastegate running at 7psi. BBR says the setup is also open to further boosting if the owner desires. BBR managing director, Neil McKay, said:
“For the 1.5-litre SKYACTIV-G engine, the main development effort focussed on turbo matching to suit our desired twin goals of transforming the everyday driving performance, whilst maintaining the rev-free nature of the smaller power unit.”
BBR says the kit retains the Mazda OEM electronic safety features and the relevant emissions compliance. The full stage 1 package retails from £4995.00 for a drive in, drive out installation. See below for the key components:
BBR Stage 1 Mazda MX-5 ND Turbo upgrade:
- BBR exclusive TSX28-67R twin-scroll turbocharger including jet turbine specification fixings
- BBR bespoke cast iron twin scroll exhaust manifold
- BBR stainless steel downpipe
- BBR high-flow lightweight front mounted aluminium intercooler with factory look black intake pipes
- BBR high-flow custom silicone turbo pipes in factory look black finish with stainless steel hose clamps and unique black coating
- BBR lightweight aluminium battery tray in factory black finish
- BBR Recirculating piston type dump valve in factory black finish
- BBR / Bosch MAP / Temperature sensor
- BBR high efficiency carbon fibre turbocharger heat shield
- BBR high flow K&N Typhoon induction kit
- BBR stainless steel oil and water lines
- BBR Starchip EcuTek RaceRom calibration software