The all-new 2016 Hyundai Tucson is just around the corner now, with local pricing and specifications announced just before its official launch in just over a week.
This will be Hyundai’s first entry into the medium-sized SUV market segment, competing with the likes of the Mitsubishi Outlander and Nissan X-Trail. It will replace the ix35, which, according to VFACTS, sits in the small-medium SUV segment.
Four main variant levels will be launched in Australia, spanning from the Active (available later in 2015), the ActiveX, Elite, and range-topping Highlander. These are then divided up by four different engine combinations and three transmissions.
Included in the lineup are two 2.0-litre naturally aspirated four-cylinder units, with the upper version producing 121kW and 203Nm. A 1.6-litre turbo-petrol will also be on offer, developing 130kW and 265Nm, available only in the Elite and Highlander grades.
A 2.0-litre CRDi turbo-diesel is optional in the Elite and Highlander, producing 136kW and 400Nm. The diesel unit offers a combined cycle fuel consumption of just 6.4L/100km in the Elite.
Some of the highlight features for the Tucson include a smart interface with touch-screens up to 8.0 inches in size, offering Apple CarPlay and Android Auto service further down the track. All models are set to come with a rear-view camera and a host of advanced safety technologies as standard.
PerformanceDrive will be at the official media launch in Canberra for a first steer of the new model next weekend, just before it officially hits the market on August 1.
See below for some of the highlight features of each variant, along with prices further below (excluding on-road costs). The entry-level Active will launch later in the year, with standard features yet to be announced.
- 18-inch alloy wheels with 225/55R18 tyres
- Six airbags
- Electronic stability control
- Rear view camera with dynamic guidelines
- Rear parking assist system (four sensors) with guidance
- LED daytime running lights
- Projector beam headlights with escort and welcome function
- Automatic dusk sensing headlights
- Front fog lights
- Leather-appointed seats
- Premium steering wheel and gear knob
- 7.0-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay (September) and Android Auto (2016)
- Steering-mounted audio controls
- Electric folding / heated side mirrors
- Cruise control with steering wheel mounted controls
- Roof rails
- 17-inch alloy wheels with 225/60R17 tyres
- Trailer stability assist
- LED headlights with static bending
- Electrically adjusted driver’s seat (10-way incl. lumbar)
- Electronic park brake with auto hold
- Dual zone climate control air conditioning with auto defog function
- Proximity smart key with push button start
- 8.0-inch touchscreen satellite navigation with three-year map update plan
- Smart Tailgate function (hands-free power tailgate)
- Rain sensing wipers
- Solar glass with privacy tint
- LED side repeater integrated into side mirrors
- Steering wheel mounted phone controls
- 19-inch alloy wheels with 245/45R19 with Continental ContiSportContact5
- Front parking assist system with guidance
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- LED taillights with bulb turn signal and reverse lights
- Electrically adjusted front passenger’s seat (six-way incl. lumbar)
- Leather-appointed seats (including man-made materials)
- Heated and air ventilated front seats
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- Blind Spot Detection incorporating Lane Change Assist
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Autonomous Emergency Braking
- Lane Keeping Assist System with Lane Departure Warning
- Twin-tip trapezoidal exhaust
- 4.2-inch TFT LCD colour display for instrument cluster
2016 Hyundai Tucson Active
2.0 MPi petrol 2WD – six-speed manual – $27,990
2.0 MPi petrol 2WD – six-speed auto – $30,490
2016 Hyundai Tucson ActiveX
2.0 GDi petrol 2WD – six-speed manual – $30,490
2.0 GDi petrol 2WD – six-speed auto – $32,990
2016 Hyundai Tucson Elite
2.0 MPi petrol 2WD – six-speed auto – $35,240
1.6 T-GDi petrol AWD – seven-speed DCT auto – $38,240
2.0 CRDi diesel AWD – six-speed auto – $40,240
2016 Hyundai Tucson Highlander
1.6 T-GDi petrol AWD – seven-speed DCT auto – $43,490
2.0 CRDi diesel AWD – six-speed auto – $45,490