The 2017 BMW 5 Series range is about to be expanded in Australia, with the introduction of the new 520i. This brings the total variant range to six.
Coming in as the new entry-level variant, the 520i is powered by a 2.0-litre turbo-petrol four-cylinder producing 135kW and 290Nm. Despite being the base model it offers a respectable 0-100km/h sprint of 7.8 seconds. Of course, economy is more its forte, with the official average coming in at just 6.2L/100km.
As standard, the 520i comes with the same level of specification as the 520d. It includes the Luxury Line trim or optional M Sport pack, LED headlights and fog lights, comfort access, Dakota leather, power front seats, Professional grade navigation with a 10.25-inch touch-screen, power-adjustable steering column, and a 12-speaker sound system.
Like other new 5 Series variants, the 520i gets BMW’s advanced iDrive 6 software, which includes wireless phone charging, and a large control dial with embedded touchpad with handwrite functionality. There’s also a clever gesture control available which allows users to simply make hand movements in the air to control various things, such as the volume.
Underneath, the platform platform infuses BMW’s EfficientLightweight construction philosophy which helps shed up to 95kg compared with the equivalent predecessor. This helps with not only performance, but also economy and handling. BMW says there has been an extensive use of aluminium in the shell, along with bonnet, front guards, roof, doors, and boot lid.
The body features a slightly longer wheelbase than the previous model, up 7mm, and is 28mm longer overall. It’s also 2mm taller and 8mm wider, with boot capacity increased 10L to 530L. This all helps open up more cabin space inside.
BMW Australia says the new model will be available in September priced from $92,200 (excluding on-roads). A special Launch Edition is also being offered from $99,900 drive-away. See below for some of the highlight features.
Launch Edition in Luxury Line trim adds Exclusive Package:
- 19-inch light-alloy wheels in a choice of multi-spoke or W-spoke styles
- Exclusive Nappa leather upholstery
- Automatic Tailgate function
- Dynamic Damper Control
- Comfort Seats for driver and front passenger
- Seat heating for driver and front passenger
- BMW Individual Anthracite Roofliner
- High-beam Assist
Launch Edition with the M Sport Package:
- 19-inch M light-alloy wheels with double spoke styling
- M Aerodynamics Package
- Trapezoidal tailpipe finishers in chrome
- BMW Individual window surrounds in a choice of satinated aluminium or high-gloss Shadowline
- M Sport Suspension
- M designation on front side panels
- Sports Seats for driver and front passenger
- Illuminated M door sills
- M leather steering wheel
2017 BMW 520i highlights:
- Luxury Line with Chrome Line exterior (M Sport Package optional)
- LED Headlights and fog lights
- 18-inch BMW light alloy wheels
- Comfort Access
- Dakota leather upholstery with Sensatec instrument panel
- Electric seat adjustment for driver and front passenger
- Electrically-adjustable steering column
- Navigation system Professional with 10.25-inch Touch Control Display
- Wireless smartphone charging
- HiFi Loudspeaker system with 12 speakers and DAB+ digital radio
- BMW Head-Up display
- Driving Assistant Plus, including Active Cruise with Stop & Go function, front Cross traffic warning, crossroads warning and Lane Keeping Assistant
- Parking Assistant Plus, including Parking Assistant with rear Active Park Distance Control, Surround View and Panorama View
- Speed limiter and Speed limit info
- Airbags including front, full-length sides, driver’s knee and head protection integrated in sides and headliner
- BMW ConnectedDrive Freedom with access to BMW Online and BMW Apps for seamless third-party app integration (for example, Spotify). Also includes real-time traffic information, intelligent emergency call, TeleServices, Concierge Services and phone app-based Remote Services