BMW Australia will soon launch the all-new, 2020 BMW 1 Series, today confirming local specs and prices ahead of its local launch. It follows the unveiling of the new model in May this year.
As previously revealed, the 2020 1 Series is underpinned by the UKL2 platform. This is a major change from the outgoing model, primarily because it is no longer rear-wheel drive but front-wheel drive. However, the new platform supports all-wheel drive, and opens up cabin space. It’s also lighter in weight.
The exterior dimensions show the new model is 5mm shorter than the outgoing version, but it is 34mm wider and 13mm taller. With a shorter bonnet thanks to the east-west engine mounting configuration, the cabin area is larger than before.
BMW says there is 33mm more kneeroom in the back, 19mm more headroom in the back, and the boot loading space is 67mm wider. Boot capacity is increased by 20L, to 380L. Fold down the rear seats and the boot volume grows to 1200L.
Two variants have been confirmed for Australia; the 118i and the M135i xDrive. Both come with an impressive array of standard features and safety technologies, including a 10.25-inch media interface and another 10.25-inch digital screen for the instrument cluster, as well as autonomous emergency braking, lane departure warning, rear cross-traffic alert, and head-up display, all as standard.
For the 118i, power comes from a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol three-cylinder engine that produces 103kW and 220Nm. This is connected up to an eight-speed auto with front-wheel drive, offering a claimed 0-100km/h sprint time of 8.5 seconds.
Coming in as the first all-wheel drive 1 Series for Australia, the M135i features a 2.0-litre turbo-petrol four-cylinder engine that develops 225kW and 450Nm. This is a new engine that originally debuted with the X2 M35i. It, too, comes connected to an eight-speed auto. Acceleration from 0-100km/h is taken care of in a claimed 4.8 seconds.
BMW Australia says the 2020 model will launch during the fourth quarter of this year. See below for the starting prices (excludes on-road costs), and further below for the highlight standard features.
2020 BMW 118i: $42, 990
2020 BMW M135i xDrive: $63,990
2020 BMW 118i standard highlights:
- M Sport package including: M Sport multifunction leather steering wheel, sport seats, cloth/Sensatec upholstery, BMW Individual headliner in Anthracite
- 18in M Light alloy double spoke alloy wheels (M bi-colour)
- BMW Driving Assistant, including lane departure warning, lane change warning, approach control warning with city-braking intervention, rear cross-traffic warning, rear collision prevention and speed limit information
- BMW head-up display
- Parking Assistant, including PDC (front and rear), rear-view camera, automatic parking assistant and reversing assistant
- Live Cockpit Professional including 10.25in instrument cluster, 10.25in BMW operating system 7.0 display and Intelligent Personal Assistant
- Connected package Professional including Apple CarPlay (1 year) plus wireless charging for smartphone
- Storage compartment package
- Lights package including ambient interior lighting and exterior BMW logo projection on driver’s side
- ‘Illuminated Boston’ interior trim finish
- LED headlights and tail lights, LED fog lights, front
- Stereo speaker system, 6 loudspeakers (100W)
2020 BMW M135i xDrive standard highlights (over and above the 118i):
- M Sport brakes
- M Sport steering
- M Rear spoiler
- 19” M Light alloy wheels (M bi-colour Cerium grey matta finish)
- Comfort access including BMW digital key
- M Sport seats for driver and front passenger with integrated headrests and improved lateral support
- Leather ‘Dakota’ upholstery
- Electric seat adjustment including driver’s side seat memory function
- Adaptive LED headlights including high beam assistant
- Harman/Kardon surround sound system, 16 speakers (464W)