Coinciding with the launch of its biggest brother, the new 8 Series, BMW Australia has this week also launched the all-new Z4 sports car.
BMW released pricing and local lineup details in January. But in case you missed it, the new range spans from the sDrive20i, the sDrive30i, to the top M40i by BMW’s M Performance sub-brand. All three are rear-wheel drive, and all come as standard with an eight-speed automatic transmission with launch control.
Even if you go for the base model 20i, you’re getting very respectable and fun performance. It comes with a 2.0-litre turbo four-cylinder that produces 145kW and 320Nm. Doesn’t sound like much? Well, 0-100km/h comes up in a claimed 6.6 seconds, which is quite quick indeed. Fuel economy on the combined cycle is rated at 6.5L/100km.
Moving up to the 30i gets you an uprated version of the same engine, which produces 190kW and 400Nm. Acceleration from 0-100km/h comes up in a proper sportscar-like 5.4 seconds. Fuel economy is rated at the same 6.5L/100km.
If it’s really exciting performance you’re after, the M40i comes with a 3.0-litre turbo inline-six engine that produces 250kW and 500Nm. Across the standard 0-100km/h sprint, the clock stops in just 4.5 seconds. Meanwhile, fuel consumption is stamped at a reasonable 7.4L/100km.
All models come standard with the M Sport package, although the M40i gets its own M Performance setup. All also come with head-up display, dual-zone climate control, BMW’s latest 10.25-inch media interface packed with digital radio, Apple CarPlay, and at least a 10-speaker sound system.
Moving up to the 30i adds adaptive cruise control, 19-inch alloy wheels (up from 18s on the 20i), M Sport brakes, adaptive M suspension, and adaptive LED headlights. Buyers can also opt for an M Sport limited-slip differential.
At the top, the M40i comes with unique 19-inch M alloy wheels, M Sport suspension, the M limited-slip differential, and a high-end 12-speaker Harman/Kardon sound system. There’s also the usual M Performance cosmetic garnishes inside and out. See below for the more complete list of standard highlights.
The new Z4 comes into the market as a direct competitor to cars like the Audi TT, Porsche Cayman and Boxster, and the Jaguar F-Type to some extent. BMW worked with Toyota to develop the platform, and Toyota will use much of the underpinnings for its new Supra.
“The all new BMW Z4 is a triumphant return to our enduring Z model heritage,” said BMW Group Australia CEO, Vikram Pawah. “It is a real statement piece for the brand, combining stand-out styling and impressive engine performance with handling dynamics to really please the driver.”
You can head into your nearest BMW dealer now and place an order, with prices starting from the following (excluding on-road costs). See further below for the standard feature highlights for each variant.
2019 BMW Z4 sDrive20i auto RWD: $84,900
2019 BMW Z4 sDrive30i auto RWD: $104,900
2019 BMW Z4 M40i auto RWD: $124,900
Z4 sDrive20i highlights:
- 18-inch light alloy wheels with performance tyres
- M Sport package
- Eight-speed sport automatic transmission with paddle shifters
- Tyre Repair Kit
- Wind deflector
- Interior and driver’s side exterior mirror with automatic anti-dazzle function
- Heated M Sport Seats, electrically-adjustable with memory function
- Through-loading system
- Storage compartment package
- Interior trims in aluminium Tetragon
- Instrument panel in Sensatec
- Two-zone automatic air Conditioning
- Cruise control with braking function
- High-beam assistant
- Driving assistant
- Parking assistant including reverse assistant
- Active Guard
- Head-up display
- DAB digital radio
- HiFi loudspeaker system with 10 speakers and 205W capability
- Connected Package Professional, including Apple CarPlay
- M leather steering wheel with multifunction buttons
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional
- Wireless charging
- LED headlights
- ‘Vernasca’ leather upholstery
- Chinese language display (no-cost option)
Z4 sDrive30i highlights, on top of above features:
- 19-inch light alloy wheels with performance tyres
- Comfort Access, including digital key to enable remote smartphone locking/unlocking and engine start from wireless charging tray
- M Sport brakes
- Active cruise control with Stop & Go function
- Adaptive M suspension
- Adaptive LED headlights
Z4 M40i highlights:
- Specific M Performance engine and suspension tuning
- M Sport differential – electrically-controlled limited-slip differential
- Lumbar support for driver and passenger
- Ambient light
- Harman/Kardon surround sound system with 12 speakers