The last ever Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X has arrived in Australia, called, fittingly, the Final Edition. It comes with enhanced performance in almost every area.
Starting with the engine, the 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder is boosted to produce 226kW of power at 6500rpm, and 414Nm of torque at 3500rpm. This is only a small but worthy jump from the standard 217kW/366Nm output.
However, the engine itself has received various tweaks to improve overall performance, not just power. The exhaust valves are replaced by special sodium-filled hollow units to save weight, while the exhaust system is a unique freer-flowing setup with a stainless steel manifold.
Next to the engine is a short-throw five-speed manual transmission, sending grunt to a Super All-Wheel Control all-wheel drive system. The AWD system provides the driver with tarmac, gravel, and snow driving modes, and comes with Active Yaw Control.
Aside from the powertrain tweaks, the Final Edition also comes with Bilstein dampers paired with Eibach springs for even more precise handling. Stopping power is thanks to unique Brembo brakes with two-piece front discs.
Mitsubishi has made some enhancements to the exterior, with 18-inch BBS alloy wheels, a dark chrome front grille surround, gloss black bonnet vents, and a two-tone colour range with a black roof. There’s also a Final Edition badge, and some minor changes to the interior.
Just 150 examples will be made available in Australia. These are likely to sell fast, especially given it is the last Evo X, and potentially the last ever Lancer-based Evolution.
As far as we know Mitsubishi is still thinking about a solution for the next standard Lancer, with no Evo in sight. If an Evo XI ever arrives, it might be based on a small crossover or SUV, but, again, the future looks vague at this stage.
Prices for the 2015 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Final Edition kick off from a bargain $53,700 (excluding on-road costs). See below for the highlight features:
- Turbo-charged and inter-cooled 2.0-litre MIVEC DOHC 16-valve inline 4-cylinder
- Increase in engine power and torque
- Power – 217kW increased to 226kW
- Torque – 366Nm increased to 414Nm
- Bilstein shock absorbers and Eibach springs
- Brembo 2-piece front rotors
- ‘Final Edition’ badge
- Unique two tone colour range with black painted exterior roof
- Gloss black centre bumper and bonnet air outlets
- Dark chrome front grille surround
- 18-inch BBS satin platinum alloy wheels with gold centre wheel ornament
- Unique serial number plate – AU0001 – AU0150
- Recaro partial leather performance seats with contrast red stitching
- Leather steering wheel with contrasting red stitching
- Leather park brake and shift knob with red stitching
- Leather look floor console with red stitching
- Black pillars and headlining
- ‘Final Edition’ carpet mats
- Colour multi-information display with ‘Final Edition’ animation on start up
- Rear view camera
- Advanced seven airbag SRS system including driver’s side knee airbag, dual-stage front airbags with occupant seat position sensors, front seat mounted side-impact airbags and front and rear curtain side airbags
- Sport anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Active Stability Control (ASC) and Traction Control Logic (TCL)
- Engine immobiliser anti-theft security alarm system
- Mitsubishi Motors’ patented Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution (RISE) safety cell body construction