As suspected, McLaren was planning to unveil the new 650S GT3 race car at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. The new model replaces the MP4-12C GT3 racer.
McLaren says a number of changes have been made to the new model to help optimise handling and boost overall safety. It also gets a CFD-developed body with various wings and splitters that improve aerodynamics and cooling.
Built for GT3 championship class racing all around the world, the new version is based on the 650S road car, obviously. It uses a form of the ‘M838T’ 3.8-litre twin-turbo V8 as seen in the road car, although, power is capped to around 500PS (368kW) as per FIA regulations. The ECU features increased functionality with boost and transmission control, and adjustment for the all-new six-speed sequential transmission.
Underneath, the suspension geometry has been revised and it now sits with a wider track (by 52mm) than the predecessor. These changes, according to the British company, help to enhance driver engagement for a wider range of drivers, and improve overall drivability.
Customer deliveries will kick off towards the end of 2014, ready for competition in the 2015 season.
See below for the full McLaren 650S GT3 specifications:
- McLaren carbon fibre MonoCell with aluminum front and rear sub frames
- Bespoke lightweight carbon fibre/composite body panels
- Left hand drive o FIA approved safety roll cage
- Air-jacking system
- Colour – customer choice
- Front splitter and dive planes
- Rear wing – fully adjustable with gurney
- Front and rear diffusers
- Race prepared 3.8L V8 twin turbo McLaren M838T
- McLaren Electronics ECU incorporating turbo boost and transmission shift control
- Six-speed sequential motorsport transmission pneumatically actuated via steering wheel mounted paddles
- Lightweight motorsport specification wiring and connectors
- Electronic power management system
- Membrane type switch panel o Auxiliary power supplies for fitment of team equipment (radio etc)
- McLaren Electronics ‘ATLAS’ data system
- Motorsport digital dash display
• Front/Rear Suspension
- Double wishbone adjustable for ride height, camber and toe
- 4-way adjustable dampers with coil over springs
- Motorsport axles with single wheel retaining nut
- Adjustable anti-roll bars
- Forged aluminium wheels: Front 12.5 inches x 18 inches, Rear 13 x 18 inches
- Electro-hydraulic power assisted steering
- Unique McLaren GT composite steering wheel incorporating key driver switch controls and map settings
- Motorsport ‘bag tank’ system with 125L capacity
- Motorsport ‘quick-fill’ system
- Monoblock calipers with ventilated discs
- Front – six-piston caliper, 380mm x 35mm disc
- Rear – four-piston caliper, 355mm x 32mm disc
- Bosch motorsport ABS
- Adjustable brake bias
- McLaren GT bespoke composite seat shell
- Six-point racing harness
- Motorsport pedal box – adjustable position
- Lightweight carbon fibre dash with integrated driver display and switch panel o Motorsport fire extinguisher system