BMW has confirmed the 740e iPerformance luxury sedan will arrive in Australia “late-2016”, coming in as the first high-end model under the new iPerformance sub-brand.
It is powered by a 190kW/400Nm 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder unit and 83kW/250Nm liquid-cooled synchronous electric motor, producing a combined 240kW and 650Nm of torque. BMW has thrown out the sports automatic transmission in favour of its eight-speed steptronic unit instead.
The 740e iPerformance has an all-electric range of 48km, and can travel up to 140km/h on the 9.2kWh batteries alone, having benefitted from battery-cell technologies from the development of its i3 and i8 vehicles.
This translates into a 0-100km/h run in just 5.4 seconds – not bad for what is essentially a limousine. Despite the brisk acceleration, BMW claims a combined cycle consumption of just 2.2L/100km, emitting just 50g/km of CO2, proving best in its respective class in EU test cycle results.
BMW says the 9.2kWh capacity lithium-ion battery can utilise as much of 7.4kWh of its total capacity, and can be fully charged in a standard 230-volt socket in five hours. BMW’s new ELECTRIC program offers customers to opt for its I Wallbox, which can fully charge the 740e in just 2.5 hours thanks to a 3.7kW charging rate at 16 amps. BMW customers who opt for the ChargeNow card can also use public charging stations. BMW is offering a six-year/100,000km warranty for its high voltage battery system.
As you can probably expect for a car with a starting price at a quarter of a million dollars, you’ll get a lot of equipment as standard. 19-inch wheels, 16-speaker Harman/Kardon surround sound system, a heated steering wheel, as well as seats and armrests, adaptive two-axle air suspension, adaptive LED headlamps, Nappa leather, M Sport package, and a whole lot more are all thrown in. Other highlights are outlined below.
Optional extras include a nearly endless range of personal touches for the interior, as well as comfort seats which can recline up to 42.5 degrees, massaging seats, a heat comfort package and rear entertainment package which includes two 10-inch screens, BluRay drive and digital television package.
The BMW 740e will be available in late 2016, with prices starting at $229,000 (plus on-road costs). Marc Werner, BMW’s Australian CEO said;
“The new 7 Series has already set new benchmarks for innovation in its segment. Now with the 740e iPerformance, we reinforce our commitment to a greener future, without sacrificing the performance and luxury expected of our 7 Series flagship.”
The addition of the 740e iPerformance marks BMW’s third member of BMW’s environmentally conscious sub-brand, iPerformance, following the introduction of the X5 xDrive40e and 330e sedan.
- 19-inch light-alloy Wheels
- BMW Display Key
- BMW Touch Command
- Lane Change Warning with Steering Assist
- Exterior Design Pure Excellence
- 16-speaker harman/kardon surround sound system (16 speakers)
- Heat comfort package, front (heated seats for driver and front passenger, heated armrests for centre console, driver and front passenger doors and steering wheel heating)
- Instrument panel finished in leather
- Interior Design Pure Excellence
- Nappa leather upholstery
- Professional Navigation with Gesture Control
- Side Blinds, electric
- M Sport package (no-cost option)
- Further standard specification
- Adaptive 2-axle air suspension
- Adaptive LED Headlights with BMW Selective Beam
- Eight-speed Sports automatic transmission with Steptronic
- Driving Experience Control with ECO PRO mode (including ADAPTIVE mode)
- Servotronic steering
- Intelligent Emergency Call
- Remote Services
- Real Time Traffic Information
- Concierge Services
- Active seat ventilation, front
- Active Park Distance Control, front and rear
- Comfort Access System, including contactless opening/closing of rear tailgate
- Comfort seats for driver and front passenger including lumbar support
- Digital Radio DAB+
- Driving Assistant Plus (Lane Change and Lane Departure Warning, Steering and Lane Control Assistant, Forward Collision Warning and Pedestrian Warning with light city braking function, Crossing-traffic Warning (front and rear), Rear Collision prevention and Active Cruise Control with Stop and Go function)
- Head Up Display
- Parking Assistant
- Rear View Camera
- Soft-close function for doors
- Sport leather steering wheel with Gearshift Paddles
- Sunblinds, rear and rear side electric
- Surround View with 360 degree function and panorama view
- Voice control
- Glass Sunroof