Sources have confirmed with PerformanceDrive almost all of the specs and features for the all-new 2016 Mazda CX-9. The new model is expected to properly shake up the seven-seat SUV market when it arrives later this year.
As already revealed, the biggest news for the new CX-9 is the introduction of a completely new 2.5-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 170kW at 5000rpm, and 420Nm at 2000rpm.
The engines uses what Mazda claims is a “world’s first Dynamic Pressure Turbo”, which helps to provide a linear power delivery and plenty of low-down response. It also features a cooled exhaust gas recirculation system.
Buyers will be able to select between front-wheel drive and four-wheel drive options, both with a six-speed automatic transmission. The two-wheel drive variants offer a combined fuel consumption of 8.4L/100km, while the AWD offers an average of 8.8L/100km.
Four variants will go on sale in Australia, spanning from the Sport, Touring, GT, and Azami. These will be available in seven colour options, including Soul Red metallic, Sonic Silver metallic, Machine Grey metallic, Snowflake White Pearl mica, Jet Black mica, Deep Crystal Blue mica, and Titanium Flash mica. Highlight standard features will comprise of the following:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Sport
- 18-inch alloy wheels and 255/60 tyres
- LED headlights
- 7.0-inch touch-screen MZD interface and six-speaker stereo (with Pandora and Stitcher)
- Satellite navigation
- Three-zone climate control with independent rear control
- 60/40 split-fold second row seats, 50/50 third row
- Advanced blind-spot monitoring
- Keyless entry and button start
- Rear parking sensors and rear-view camera with cross-traffic alert
- Automated smart city braking (forward and reverse)
2016 Mazda CX-9 Touring (above or including Sport features)
- LED fog lights
- Auto headlights and wipers
- 8.0-inch touch-screen MZD interface
- Leather trim
- Power adjustable front seats with heating
- Centre armrest storage for second row and USB ports
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT (above or including Touring features)
- 20-inch alloy wheels with 255/50 tyres
- Power tailgate with remote open/close
- 12-speaker Bose sound system with sub-woofer and digital radio
- Head-up display
- Memory drivers seat
- Black or stone leather trim
- Front parking sensors
2016 Mazda CX-9 Azami (above or including GT features)
- Radar cruise-control with stop and go function
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Lane departure warning
- Lane-keep assist
- Smart brake support
As we already know, the new CX-9 is wider and uses a longer wheelbase than the outgoing model, providing more cabin space. There’s also larger door openings, a highly configurable seating and cargo layout, and a nearly flat floor in the back when both rear seat rows are folded down.
Mazda Australia will launch the new model very soon, with the first examples already in the country. Prices are yet to be confirmed.
UPDATE: Pricing information has been leaked out early. Click here for the details.