Ford Australia is finally announcing the official introduction of the highly-anticipated 2016 Ford Focus RS super hot hatch.
With prices kicking off at $50,990 (plus on-roads), you’re looking at the most powerful Ford Focus to hit the Australian roads and also the most affordable RS. It is also the 30th Ford model to adorn the “Rallye Sport” RS badges, reserved for only the most intimidating models like the 1985 Sierra RS Cosworth and 1992 Escort RS Cosworth.
Powered by a heavily turbocharged 2.3-litre EcoBoost four-cylinder engine, the Focus RS produces 257kW at 6000rpm, and 440Nm (470Nm during 15 seconds of transient overboost), between 2000-4500 rpm. Engineers at Ford snapped the powertrain from the Mustang EcoBoost, extracting more power and torque, and installing a new exhaust system.
Power is transferred to all fours via Ford’s all-wheel drive system, complete with torque vectoring, allowing the RS to redistribute power accordingly for maximum road-holding. Graeme Whickman, CEO and president at Ford of Australia,
“The Focus RS sees the return of one of our most revered models. It builds on our showroom appeal of models including the Focus ST and Fiesta ST, XR Sprint Falcons as well as the hugely popular Mustang.”
Ford engineers were given a mandate of assuring the RS has zero lift, at both the front and rear, hence the new styling package. Complete with new bumpers and a raised spoiler and chunky rear diffuser, a significant amount of downforce was needed to match the raise in power.
The RS also comes with a choice of four adjustable drive modes, which adjusts the active damper system, steering, ESC, engine and exhaust settings accordingly. Also included is a launch control system, and Track and Drift modes.
Inside, there’s some partially leather-upholstered Recaro sport seats, as well as a flat-bottomed steering wheel and MMI system complete with Ford’s SYNC system.
Ford has shipped just 300 Focus RS units to Australia, and unsurprisingly, all of them have been nabbed up by diehard fans. Ford Australia says it is working on getting more units ships. See below for some of the highlights.
FORD FOCUS RS MODEL FEATURES
- 2.3-litre EcoBoost (exclusive RS high-performance version)
- Auto-Stop start technology standard
- Stall Recovery
- All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) system with launch control
- Drive modes – including industry-first ‘drift mode’
- RS tuned driver selectable sport suspension with adjustable dampers
- 5-door bodystyle
- Unique RS bodykit/fascia
- 19-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres
- Bi-Xenon HID with LED DTRL
- Keyless entry
- Thatcham alarm
- Recaro-branded shell seats – Partial leather / Micro-fibre fabric panels
- SYNC2 with Emergency Assistance
- High-resolution 8.0-inch high resolution colour touch screen
- Bluetooth with audio streaming
- Natural language Voice Control for phone, music, climate and navigation controls
- Satellite Navigation with ‘One Shot’ destination entry via Voice Control
- 9-speaker audio
- USB & RCA inputs
- Rearview camera
- Dual-zone climate control
- Push button start
- Cruise Control with speed limiter
The following option is available with the LZ Focus RS:
PERFORMANCE WHEEL PACK
The wheels and tyres in this optional pack are designed to improve the Focus RS on track performance while still being suitable for every day road use.
- 19-inch forged alloys
- High-performance lightweight design
- Low gloss black colour
- Enhanced strength & impact resistance
- Weight saving
- 235/35 R19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
- Enhanced performance in dry and wet track conditions
Four exterior colours are available on the Focus RS, with Nitrous being the feature colour in the Australian market. Other colours are White, Magnetic and Shadow Black.