Audi Australia has announced the local lineup and pricing for its all-new A4 Avant, with more technology, practicality, and two new powertrains offered.
Two new 2.0-litre TFSI engines are available; the more efficient of which delivers 140kW of power between 4200-6000rpm, and 320Nm of torque between 1450-4200rpm. While this takes the A4 Avant from 0-100km/h in a modest time of 7.5 seconds, it sips fuel frugally, at just 5.6L/100km on the combined cycle.
The more powerful alternative develops 185kW of power between 5000-6000rpm, and 370Nm of torque between 1600-4500rpm. Acceleration from 0-100km/h has been shaved down to 6.0 seconds, while sipping fuel at an impressive rate of 6.6L/100km on average.
Audi has managed to shave 70kg from the previous generation A4, and also changed the suspension architecture, with the introduction of a five-link rear suspension setup. Adaptive suspension systems are available at a premium, with the option of comfort or sport.
Audi’s latest generation quattro all-wheel drive system comes as standard in the TFSI Quattro Sport, and both variants transfer power through a seven-speed S tronic dual-clutch transmission.
The new generation A4 Avant also marks the introduction of the ‘Audi tablet’, which allows passengers in the rear to sync to an Android-compatible device for web browsing and navigation. The tablet costs $2000, or $3600 for a pair.
Audi is also packaging the A4 Avant with an impressive list of safety equipment as standard. Included in the package is autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian detection, cross-traffic assist, blind-spot warning and parking system with rear-view camera.
There’s also an optional $1900 assistance package, with adaptive cruise control, active lane assist, stop and go technology, turn assist, collision avoidance, collision warning technology, and high-beam assist.
“The A4 Avant ticks all of the boxes for modern families and those who lead an active lifestyle,” said Andrew Doyle, managing director of Audi Australia.
“It also offers class-leading progressive technology, which has already made the new A4 sedan such an extraordinary standout. As our newest example, the innovative ‘Audi tablet’ rear seat entertainment system establishes a new benchmark for connected infotainment that satisfies the needs of modern families.”
The A4 Avant also offers nearly as much practicality as the Q5 SUV. It presents an additional 80L of luggage space compared with the previous model, for a total of 505L, compared with 540L in the Q5. It also comes with a new electric boot with motion sensing technology.
See below for the main highlights, and starting prices (excluding dealer delivery and government statutory charges):
2016 A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI S tronic 140kW – $63,900
2016 A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI quattro S tronic 185kW – $72,900
2.0 TFSI sport
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- LED headlights with adaptive function and dynamic rear indicators
- MMI Navigation plus with 8.3-inch screen, MMI touch, DVD player, 10GB music storage, live traffic and 5 included map updates
- Audi connect
- Audi Smartphone interface (Apple Carplay and Android Auto)
- 7.0-inch high-resolution colour Driver Information Screen
- Sport front seats including electric front seats with electric lumbar support
- Sport steering wheel with shift paddles, leather-appointed seats
- Three-zone climate control, deluxe automatic air-conditioning with rear display
- New Audi Music Interface, with 2 USB connectors
- DAB+ digital radio
- Convenience key with hands-free opening and closing for tailgate
- Auto dimming centre mirror
2.0 TFSI quattro sport (in addition to 2.0 TFSI sport)
- 19-inch Audi Sport alloy wheels
- Sport suspension
- Audi sound system (180W, 10 speakers, with subwoofer)
- Memory driver’s seat
- Folding exterior mirrors, with heating, dimming and memory functions
In addition to the above standard equipment, the following high-value packages offer additional features tailored to individual customer demand.
Technik Package – $2100
- Virtual cockpit
- Heads-up display (HUD)
S line sport package – $5000 (2.0 TFSI), $3200 (2.0 TFSI quattro)
- 19-inch Audi Sport alloy wheels
- S line exterior package
- S line interior detailing
- Black headlining
- Sport suspension (where not already standard)
- Leather/Alcantara upholstery
- Flat-bottom steering wheel
- Additional colour/trim options