Although the timing might not be ideal in terms of seasonal conditions in Australia, Audi has just launched the new TT Roadster. It’s based on the third-gen TT coupe which arrived locally at the beginning of the year.
The roadster version is available in two main variant lines, at least initially before a potential performance TT S model comes along. There’s the Sport and the S line. Both come with a 2.0-litre TFSI turbo engine producing 169kW and 370Nm.
Both come with a six-speed dual-clutch S tronic transmission – no manual option – matched up to a quattro all-wheel drive system. Acceleration from 0-100km/h takes just 5.6 seconds. Despite the impressive performance, the average fuel consumption is just 6.7L/100km, making it just as economical (in terms of fuel usage) as a new Ford Focus 2.0L.
The powertrain is bolted up to Audi’s latest space frame architecture (ASF) which is comprised mainly of aluminium. Paired with this, the electric folding roof weighs just 39kg to help the roadster retain the fun and nimble driving character of the coupe. Andrew Doyle, managing director of Audi Australia, said,
“Like the Coupe, the new TT Roadster sets a benchmark in its segment for its use of progressive technology, with the Audi virtual cockpit, the outstanding ergonomics of the interior and of course, the exceptional quality of finish.”
As for the design, the new TT Roadster takes the form of its coupe brother, showcasing sharper lines than its predecessor, slimmer headlights, more defined panel contours, and a more sophisticated front end including a larger and very prominent front grille layout.
The model is available to order now via Audi dealerships around the country, with prices starting at $81,500 for the Sport, and from $89,000 for the S line (excluding on-road costs). See below for the highlight features of each:
Highlights in the Sport line are:
- Innovative Audi virtual cockpit with multifunction sports steering wheel
- MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch, DVD player, 10GB music storage, live traffic and map updates
- 18-inch alloy wheels in a dynamic new design
- Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights
- Convenience key
- Electric, heated sport seats with electric lumbar support
- Electric folding roof with electrically retractable windbreaker
- Audi parking system plus (front and rear)
- Rich Alcantara and leather trim
- Audi Drive select
- Ambient interior lighting
- Storage and luggage compartment package
In addition to the above, S line models also feature:
- S line sport interior and exterior styling
- S sport front seats in rich Alcantara and leather, with pneumatic bolsters
- 19-inch alloy wheels in a dynamic titanium contrast design
- Full LED headlights including dynamic rear indicators
- Audi sound system (five-channel amplifier, total output of 155W through nine speakers and two sub-woofers)
- Digital radio
Matrix LED headlights and selection of sporty new alloy wheel designs up to 20 inches in diameter are also optional for both variants.