The all-new 2014 Nissan X-Trail has touched down in Australia, showcasing a fresh design inside and out, more advanced technologies, and two petrol engine options with a turbo-diesel on the way.
Looking a little bit like a smaller version of the new Pathfinder, the 2014 X-Trail has been designed following the company’s latest styling language. It’s a lot smoother and rounder than the outgoing boxy version, and it incorporates a new chrome ‘V’ grille at the front and a more modern rear end.
The exterior and overall dimensions have grown from the predecessor, with the new model being 5mm longer, 30mm wider, and 10mm higher. In saying that, it’s off-road readiness has been diminished somewhat, with 210mm of ground clearance compared with the previous 215mm, and approach and departure angles have suffered; 24.8 degree versus 28 degrees (old), and 17.3 degrees versus 24 degrees, respectively.
Nissan is focusing on the practical side of things with the new model and has fitted something it calls EZ Flex seating, including a seven-seat option on the ST and ST-L. The EZ Flex system provides a sliding and reclining function for the second row with a 40/20/20 split-fold bench.
In terms of powertrain options, the new X-Trail is available with a 2.0-litre four-cylinder producing 106kW and 200Nm. It offers an average fuel economy rating of 8.2L/100km in manual ST form. There’s also a 2.5-litre developing 126kW and 226Nm, and it offers an average fuel economy rating of 7.9L/100km in 2WD ST form. Both units run of 91 RON fuel and come with a 60-litre fuel tank.
A turbo-diesel engine is on the way and will join the lineup during the third quarter of this year. It’s expected to present excellent economy and strong torque figures.
Inside, the new model comes with loads of features and technology, including a completely revamped decor, NissanConnect with smart phone connectivity and Bluetooth, as well as audio streaming apps such as Pandora. Satellite navigation is entwined into the multimedia dash interface with the ST-L and Ti variants.
See below for the range of features for each model line;
2014 Nissan X-Trail ST:
- Available in 2WD or 4WD
- ALL MODE 4×4-i system (4WD only)
- 2.0-litre petrol four-cylinder engine with 6-speed manual transmission (2WD only)
- 2.5-litre petrol four-cylinder engine with Next Generation Xtronic CVT with manual mode
- Five- and seven-seat options (seven-seat option available with 2.5L, 2WD CVT only)
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Daytime running lights
- Five-inch LCD colour audio display
- Rear View Camera
- Nissan Intelligent Key with keyless entry and push-button start
- MP3, USB, AUX, Bluetooth, NissanConnect smartphone connectivity
- Flexible second-row fold-down seating system: 40/20/40 split format
- Divide-N-Hide flexible cargo system (five-seat only)
- Cruise control
- Rear roof spoiler
2014 Nissan X-Trail ST-L contains all of the features of the ST plus/or:
- Roof rails
- Privacy glass
- Seven-inch LCD colour QVGA monitor
- Around View Monitor (AVM)
- Satellite navigation
- Digital radio (DAB)
- Leather-accented seats and steering wheel
- Eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat including lumbar support
- Four-way power-adjustable passenger seat
- Heated driver and front passenger seats
- Dual-zone climate control
2014 Nissan X-Trail Ti contains all of the features of the ST-L plus/or:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- LED headlights with auto-leveling function
- Sensor-activated power-operated tailgate
- Rain-sensing front windscreen wipers
- Nissan Intelligent Key with power tailgate function
- Power tilt and slide sunroof
- Rear view mirror with auto anti-dazzle function
- Five-seat layout (seven-seat option not available)
Price list as below (excluding on-road costs):
2014 Nissan X-Trail ST 2.0 manual – $27,990
2014 Nissan X-Trail ST 2.5 Xtronic CVT – $30,490
2014 Nissan X-Trail ST 2.5 Xtronic CVT seven-seater – $31,580
2014 Nissan X-Trail ST-L 2.5 Xtronic CVT – $36,190
2014 Nissan X-Trail ST-L 2.5 Xtronic CVT seven-seater – $37,190
2014 Nissan X-Trail ST 2.5 Xtronic CVT – $33,980
2014 Nissan X-Trail ST-L 2.5 Xtronic CVT – $39,080
2014 Nissan X-Trail Ti 2.5 Xtronic CVT – $44,680